With a crispy muesli and panko bread crumb topping, this mac and cheese is pure comfort food.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Mac and Cheese:
- 12 oz macaroni
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 3 1/2 cups aged shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Crispy Maple Nut Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups Barley+ Maple & Nuts Muesli
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Mac and Cheese: Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Grease 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Cook onion, garlic and thyme for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle flour over top; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Stir in Dijon, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups Cheddar, and Parmesan until melted; stir in pasta. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Cheddar.
- Crispy Maple Nut Topping: Toss together muesli, panko bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over top of cheese.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let cool slightly. Sprinkle with green onions.
Tip: For smoky mac and cheese, add crispy cooked bacon to mac and cheese before baking.
You can purchase your Barley+ products here: bit.ly/BarleyPlusMuesli