- 1lb chickpea pasta, prepared according to package directions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard powder
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Barley+
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil, divided
- Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a heavy bottomed pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the sage and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the half-and-half and bring to a gentle boil
- Reduce heat to low and add in the mustard powder, cheddar and Gruyere cheeses. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Toss cooked pasta in half of the truffle oil
- Add pasta to the cheese sauce and mix to combine
- Pour pasta into the greased baking dish.
- To make the topping, pulse Barley+, remaining truffle oil, Parmesan and bread crumbs in a food processor to medium sized crumbs.
- Top pasta with Barley+ mixture and bake until the cheese is bubbly and top is golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Top with parsley and serve.
- Substitute vegan butter (European style is best-found at Trader Joe’s, Sprouts and other health minded retailers), unsweetened cashew milk, vegan cheddar/Parmesan
- Add 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast and 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice to cheese sauce at the end of stove top preparation.
You can purchase your Barley+ products here: bit.ly/BarleyPlusMuesli