- 6 tablespoons whole spelt flour
- 3 tablespoons crushed Barley+
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup plain almond milk
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups berries fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk refrigerated
Maple Syrup optional
For the gingerbread waffle, whisk the dry ingredients together before adding the almond milk and molasses. Mix well and pour into your preheated waffle iron (I grease mine beforehand with coconut oil to prevent it from sticking). Cook according to your waffle maker’s instructions.
Once it has finished cooking, remove and let cool completely before tearing into bite size pieces.
For the berry mash, place the berries and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the berries begin to break down and fall apart, mash with the back of a fork to squeeze out all the juices and break the berries down further.
Bring to a simmer. If using cranberries or cherries, let simmer for only 4 minutes before transferring to a glass jar and placing in the freezer, uncovered, to set. If using blackberries or blueberries, let simmer for around ten minutes, whisking occasionally, before transferring to a glass jar and placing in the freezer to set.
Once cooled, use to layer in parfaits right away or keep in an airtight jar in the refrigerator until ready to use. Use within one week.
You can purchase your Barley+ products here: bit.ly/BarleyPlusMuesli